The Penn Hills School Distirct, in compliance with state Act 153 and School Board Policy No. 916, now requires volunteers to submit background check clearances to the District prior to volunteering in our schools. The Pennsylvania House passed Act 153 of 2014 into law on Oct. 22, 2014 and Act 15 of 2015 on July 1, 2015. The new laws went into effect for the 2015-2016 School Year and apply to both District employees and volunteers who are either responsible for the welfare of a child or who have direct, unsupervised contact with children in the District. Under the new requirements, volunteers must obtain criminal background check clearances and child abuse clearances from the state and federal government.
All volunteers shall, prior to approval by the building administrator or recommendation by the athletic director, submit to the building principal’s office/athletic director’s office for review and verification:
- Original Criminal History Report from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) (Act 114)
- Original Criminal History Report from the Pennsylvania State Police (Act 34)
- Original Child Abuse History Clearance from the Pennsylvania Department of Child Welfare (Act 151)
- Mandated Reporter Training Part 1 (Act 126)
- Arrest/Conviction Report and Certification Form (Act 24).